Tooth-Colored Fillings – Crystal River, FL
Correct Dental Decay and Preserve Your Smile’s Appearance
Try as we might, most of us are bound to experience a cavity or two in our lifetime. While these little patches of tooth decay start out small, they can lead to much larger and more painful issues later. In the past, the only way to treat cavities was to use a shiny metal filling that left a noticeable silver blob amidst your pearly whites. At Signature Dental Care, we can correct dental decay and preserve your smile’s appearance at the same time with tooth-colored fillings! Thanks to our advanced treatments, high quality materials, and the keen eye of our cosmetic dentist Dr. Lisa Schnell, we can help restore your healthy, beautiful smile in no time.
Why Choose Signature Dental Care For Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- #1 Advanced Technology to Aid in Diagnosis and Treatment
- #2 Dentist with Over 30 Years of Experience
- #3 Relaxing Sedation Dentistry Options Available
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Made From?
Traditional metal fillings, or amalgam fillings, use a combination of tin, silver, copper, and mercury to fix cavities. On the other hand, tooth-colored fillings are made from composite resin. This mixture of fine ceramic particles, dental plastic, and other biocompatible materials won’t cause any irritation in your mouth or tooth. It’s durable and flexible, which helps it seal out bacteria and withstand the daily pressure that comes with eating and talking. Additionally, its color can be shaded to match that of your natural teeth, allowing it to blend in seamlessly with the rest of your smile.
What Are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are the cavity treatment of choice for both patients and dentists alike because of the numerous advantages they offer, such as:
- Extremely lifelike appearance: Composite resin can be customized to mimic the shade of your natural teeth, so it will be nearly indistinguishable from the rest of your smile.
- Better protection from tooth sensitivity and bacteria: Tooth-colored fillings form a tighter seal with your tooth than metal fillings, which helps them prevent sensitivity and future issues.
- More preservation of healthy tooth structure: Since composite resin is flexible and pliable, it doesn’t require any healthy tooth structure to be removed, unlike metal fillings.
- Biocompatible and metal-free for sensitive smiles: 100% metal-free, biocompatible tooth-colored fillings won’t cause irritation for those with metal allergies or sensitivities.
- Durable, reliable lifespan: With the proper care and routine dental checkups, tooth-colored fillings can easily last 10-15 years or more.
How Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Placed?
Your Crystal River dentist can typically treat cavities with tooth-colored fillings in a single easy appointment. First, we’ll numb the area to ensure you are as comfortable as possible throughout your entire treatment. If you’re feeling particularly nervous, Dr. Schnell may recommend a calming sedation dentistry option to help you relax. Then, all the decayed tissue is removed, and the cavity is thoroughly sanitized. When the area is clean, we’ll apply a special solution that will help your filling form a strong bond with your tooth.
Next, we’ll choose a shade of composite resin that most closely matches the color of your enamel. The putty-like resin will then be carefully sculpted into a natural-looking shape on your tooth. Afterwards, we’ll use a curing light that will speed up the hardening and bonding process. Finally, once Dr. Schnell has made any final adjustments and ensured your bite feels comfortable, you’ll be ready to enjoy your beautifully repaired smile!
If you need a cavity repaired or are interested in replacing your silver fillings, give us a call today! With the help of tooth-colored fillings, we can help your smile look and feel like nothing was ever wrong.