Nightguards – Crystal River, FL
Combat the Harmful Effects of Bruxism
Have you ever thought about how you deal with stress? For some, they bounce their leg, twiddle their thumbs, or bite their fingernails. However, other people find that their smiles take the brunt of their anxieties. Fortunately, if you clench or grind your teeth, also known as “bruxism,” there are options that can help. At Signature Dental Care, Dr. Lisa Schnell offers custom nightguards in Crystal River to combat the harmful effects of bruxism. Read on to learn more about how a nightguard may be able to protect your smile.
What Are the Symptoms of Bruxism?
Bruxism is a fairly common issue that many people don’t even realize that they have. Some of the most common symptoms that suffers experience include:
- Jaw soreness
- Facial, jaw, or neck pain
- Fatigue from sleep disruption
- Worn tooth enamel
- Damage from chewing on the inside your cheek
- Fractured, flattened, chipped, or loose teeth
The exact cause of bruxism is unknown, but it is believed that stress and anxiety are the biggest perpetrators. Other potential causes include alcohol use, caffeine, abnormal bite, and crooked teeth.
How Do Custom Nightguards Help?
Most cases of bruxism can be easily treated by wearing a nightguard while you sleep at night. They work by putting a barrier between your teeth. This way, when you clench your jaw or attempt to grind your teeth while you sleep, the nightguard will help to lighten the tension and cushion the muscles in the jaw. This not only prevents face and jaw pain, but it can also protect the enamel of your teeth.
While nightguards can be purchased over the counter, they aren’t made to fit your teeth perfectly, so they are ultimately less comfortable and don’t hold your jaw in the correct position, potentially making symptoms worse. By choosing a custom-fitted nightguard from Dr. Schnell, you can expect a safer, more accurate fit that is personalized just for you.
What Are the Benefits of Custom Nightguards?
Here are just some of the benefits you can expect from your custom nightguard in Crystal River:
- Reduces Jaw Tension: By acting as a cushion between your teeth, wearing a custom nightguard reduces jaw tension and pain.
- Prevents Headaches: If you wake up with headaches thanks to bruxism, a nightguard can help to prevent this unpleasant effect.
- Promotes Quality Sleep: Since nightguards reduce discomfort, they can help you to sleep stress-free, therefore promoting healthy sleep patterns.
- Prevent Tooth Damage: Nightguards ensure that your top and bottom teeth have no contact while you sleep, so they prevent additional damage from occurring.